We all know it can hard enough to juggle busy family lives without even thinking about exercising, but it may not be as hard as you think. Study shows that the more active a child’s parents are the more active the child will go onto be later in life. It is also a great way of socialising as a family unit.
Try Active Tamworth's top tips to keep your family fit and healthy:
- Set a time for physical activity and stick to it. You’re more likely to find time to be active if you do it at the same time and on the same days each week.
- Split activity up throughout the day. You can achieve your target in bouts of 10 minutes or more. Walk your children to and from school. This will also help them develop a pattern of physical activity.
- Be active with your child. Take them to the swimming pool or play in the garden or park instead of sitting down in front of the TV
- Take up running. Running is an effective and straightforward way of exercising whilst being an activity that the whole family can do at zero cost.
- Join a child-friendly gym. Find a fitness class or club that allows children in or that offers childcare during a workout.
- If you have younger children set up a buggy group with other mums and go on group walks with the children.
- Exercise DVDs allow you to get a good workout without having to leave your house. Exercising at home is easy to fit around your daily routine.
- Exercise during your lunch break. Your office may have a gym, or you may have access to a nearby swimming pool, sports hall or simply go for a walk in the park.
- Cycle or walk part, if not all, of your journey to work. Get off one bus or tube stop before your final destination.